Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Are User-Generated Ads Fads?

Nick Desai has an interesting column about this. Here is an excerpt-

Juice Wireless' founder examines the user-generated ad phenomenon and what role these ads may play in the future of marketing.

The other day I was pouring a big pile of ketchup, and I noticed on the packet that there was a contest to make the best user-generated commercial for Heinz ketchup -- with the winner's ad actually running on TV. As my mind filled with ideas for my own creative ways to use the red stuff, I started to think about this: As user-generated content becomes increasingly mainstream, will user-generated ads follow in popularity?

Actual consumer product reviews have already become key to our selection of everything from restaurants to toys, cars and movies. When I select toys to buy online for my incredibly cute nephew, I read every one of the consumer reviews because they provide invaluable insights; for example, how hard they are to assemble.

No comments: